||

Connecting Communities, One Page at a Time.

advertisement
advertisement

Kolkata hotel fire: CM Adhikari blames previous govt for negligence

West Bengal Chief Minister Suvendu Adhikari said the tragedy reflected years of alleged failure to enforce fire safety norms, while a five-member SIT has been formed to probe the incident that killed nine people.

IANS 19 August 2026 14:50

Kolkata hotel fire: CM Adhikari blames previous govt for negligence

West Bengal Chief Minister Suvendu Adhikari on Aug 19 launched a scathing attack against the previous Mamata Banerjee-led Trinamool Congress government over the fire incident at a hotel building on Mirza Ghalib Street in central Kolkata earlier in the day, taking a total of nine lives so far.

The Chief Minister issued a social media post on Wednesday where he described the mishap as a result of constant negligence and carelessness by the previous administration.

Advertisement

“Shocked and anguished by the tragic fire incident at the hotel on Mirza Ghalib Street in Kolkata. While we remain focused on the rescue & relief operations and conduct investigations regarding what went wrong, it is impossible to ignore the reality we are facing today. This tragedy is a grim reminder of the legacy of negligence left behind by the previous regime,” the Chief Minister claimed in his statement.

According to him, for years, infrastructure was allowed to grow unchecked both in the state capital of Kolkata as well as in other districts, with structures being permitted to be built and operated as hotels and other businesses, completely ignoring mandatory fire safety norms.

“The previous administration systematically looked the other way, failing to enforce basic compliance audits and allowing these unsafe conditions to fester. We are now working tirelessly to undo the damage of that era and to enforce the safety standards that should have been in place all along,” the Chief Minister added.

Claiming that his heart went out to the families who have lost their loved ones in this heartbreaking tragedy, the Chief Minister said that he had instructed the administration to ensure that the injured receive the absolute best medical attention and support.

“A five-member Special Investigation Team (SIT) has been immediately formed to conduct a comprehensive inquiry into this incident. We are determined to find the truth and ensure that justice is served. Prayers for the departed souls,” the Chief Minister added.

Initial findings by the police and the West Bengal Fire Services Department have revealed that the nine people, including two women and a child, killed in the fire incident at the hotel this morning died of suffocation rather than burn injuries.

“Except for the headline, no changes have been made to the story by Education Post staff.”

Also Read


    advertisement