||

Connecting Communities, One Page at a Time.

advertisement
advertisement

Delhi HC allows JNU to continue PG admissions amid challenge to deprivation points

The division bench modifies the earlier stay, allowing admissions under existing e-prospectus rules while directing the single judge to decide the petition at the earliest possible opportunity.

EPN Desk 19 August 2026 08:45

Delhi HC allows JNU to continue PG admissions amid challenge to deprivation points

The Delhi High Court has allowed Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU) to proceed with admissions to its postgraduate programs while a legal challenge to its "deprivation points" system remains pending.

A division bench of Chief Justice DK Upadhyaya and Justice Tejas Karia modified an earlier order that had halted the admission process. The bench said admissions made under the university's existing rules will remain subject to the final outcome of the petition before the single judge.

Advertisement

JNU awards "deprivation points" to applicants from certain geographically disadvantaged areas as part of its admission criteria.

The single judge had on Aug 14 directed the university not to finalize admissions or take further steps involving deprivation points until Aug 24. The order came on a petition filed by Amit Mehra, who had sought admission to a postgraduate program at JNU.

While hearing JNU's appeal against the interim order, the division bench noted that the university has followed the deprivation points system since 1974. It said the single judge's direction had effectively brought the entire admission process to a halt.

The court pointed out that JNU had released its e-prospectus for the 2026-27 academic year on April 3 and started the admission process on May 25. Classes for postgraduate students admitted through the first counseling round had also started on July 30.

The bench questioned why the challenge to the admission provision was brought at a late stage, after the admission process had already begun. It also questioned whether an interim stay could continue without a prima facie finding that the system was unlawful.

"Unless some prima facie finding is recorded that for this reason the practice of grant of deprivation points is illegal, how can admission process be stalled?," the court asked.

The division bench directed JNU to continue admissions according to the provisions outlined in its e-prospectus, including those relating to deprivation points that are under challenge before the single judge.

"The University shall carry on with the admission process as per the provisions in the e-prospectus, including the provisions which are under challenge before the single judge. However, any admission hence made will be subject to the outcome of the writ petition," it ordered.

The court also asked the single judge to decide the petition at the earliest.

Mehra, while defending the Aug 14 order, argued that the deprivation points system effectively makes a candidate's CUET score nugatory.

JNU's counsel, opposing the stay, said the single judge's order had disrupted the ongoing admission process. He submitted that one of the objectives under the JNU Act is to ensure representation of teachers and students from different parts of the country.

According to the university's counsel, the deprivation points system was introduced to advance that objective by supporting representation from geographically disadvantaged regions.

Also Read


    advertisement