Chief Minister Hemant Soren accepted key demands of protesting aspirants, cancelling the JSSC-CGL exam and TDPL-linked recruitment processes while ordering a wider probe into exam irregularities.

In a major development for thousands of government-job aspirants in Jharkhand, the State Cabinet on Monday, August 17, decided to cancel the Jharkhand Staff Selection Commission Combined Graduate Level (JSSC-CGL) examination amid a prolonged student protest over alleged irregularities in recruitment examinations.
Chief Minister Hemant Soren announced the decision after a special Cabinet meeting, saying the government would cancel examinations conducted by TSR Data Processing Private Limited (TDPL), along with the results and selections associated with the company.

The government has also ordered a comprehensive inquiry into irregularities in recruitment examinations dating back to 2014. Soren said the investigation would cover errors and irregularities, whether minor or major, that occurred during the period.
“Today, we held a special Cabinet meeting to bring this matter to a conclusion,” Soren said, adding that the government had decided to cancel examinations conducted by TDPL, the results published by the company, and selections or participation associated with its examination-related activities.
The decision is a significant reversal of the Jharkhand government's position earlier this month.
Student groups led by the JPSC-JSSC Reforms Manch had been demanding cancellation of the JSSC-CGL examination, a CBI investigation into alleged irregularities and comprehensive reforms in the State's recruitment system.
The agitation entered its 24th day on August 17, with six protesters reported to be on hunger strike. The protesters had also announced plans to gherao the Chief Minister's residence on August 20 if their demands were not addressed.
The latest decision came after several rounds of talks between the government and protesting aspirants failed to resolve the dispute.
Earlier on August 9, the government had agreed to cancel the 14th JPSC examination and certain backlog examinations but had rejected the demand to cancel JSSC-CGL, arguing that the examination had been conducted under court directions and that selected candidates had already received appointments.
The government's position changed after mounting protests and renewed discussions with the aspirants.
The Cabinet's decision goes beyond the JSSC-CGL examination.
According to the Chief Minister, all examinations conducted by TDPL, their published results and selections connected with the company will be cancelled. The government also intends to discontinue other activities undertaken by the firm in connection with recruitment examinations.
The development assumes significance because TDPL has been at the centre of allegations surrounding recruitment examinations in Jharkhand.
A recent investigation by ThePrint reported that TDPL had been blacklisted in 2024 for three years, yet was subsequently entrusted with examination-related work by the Jharkhand Public Service Commission. The report also said the CID investigation had uncovered allegations that a JPSC preliminary examination answer key was shared with TDPL employees before the scheduled declaration of results.
These allegations are part of the wider investigation and should not be treated as established findings against every candidate or examination conducted by the agency.
The latest Cabinet decision also comes as the State's Criminal Investigation Department intensifies its investigation.
The Jharkhand CID raided the JSSC office in Ranchi on Monday in connection with alleged irregularities in recruitment examinations, according to officials cited by PTI. The investigation has so far resulted in the arrest of 20 people, including former JPSC chairman L. Khiangte, according to a Times of India report citing the CID.
The probe has widened beyond allegations concerning a single examination and is now examining the broader recruitment process.
The JSSC-CGL examination in question was conducted under the Jharkhand General Graduate Level Combined Competitive Examination-2023 (JGGLCCE-2023) recruitment process.
Around 6.4 lakh candidates applied for the examination, which was intended to fill posts including Assistant Section Officer, Junior Secretariat Assistant, Labour Enforcement Officer, Planning Assistant, Block Welfare Officer, Block Supply Officer and Circle Inspector-cum-Kanungo.
The examination was initially scheduled for January and February 2024 but was cancelled following a paper-leak controversy. It was subsequently conducted in September 2024.
Candidates later approached the Jharkhand High Court alleging paper leaks, cheating and other irregularities.
The allegations included claims that some candidates had access to answers before the examination and that impersonation and other forms of malpractice had occurred. The government and investigating agencies disputed some of these allegations, and the judicial proceedings did not establish a basis for cancelling the entire examination at that stage.
The latest Cabinet decision also comes against the backdrop of a significant legal history.
In December 2025, the Jharkhand High Court allowed the recruitment process to continue while keeping the results of 10 candidates in abeyance pending investigation.
The matter subsequently reached the Supreme Court.
On January 5, 2026, the Supreme Court declined to interfere with the High Court's order, allowing the JSSC-CGL results and appointment process to proceed. However, the appointments remained subject to the outcome of the criminal investigation.
This makes Monday's Cabinet decision particularly significant: the government has now announced cancellation despite the earlier judicial developments surrounding the examination.
Alongside cancellation of the examinations, the Jharkhand government has indicated that it will overhaul the recruitment examination system.
The proposed reforms include a time-bound annual examination calendar, technology-secured examinations, timely publication of answer keys and OMR sheets, and greater accountability at multiple levels of the examination process.
Soren said an existing Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) should have prevented the alleged irregularities had it been properly followed. The government intends to strengthen the system further based on suggestions from stakeholders.
An examination reforms committee headed by senior IAS officer Amitabh Kaushal has also been announced. The government has opened a portal to receive suggestions from students, teachers, parents and educationists, which will be placed before experts for consideration.
Despite the Cabinet's decision to cancel the JSSC-CGL examination, the students' principal demand for a CBI investigation remains an important point of contention.
The protesting aspirants have repeatedly demanded that the alleged irregularities in recruitment examinations be investigated by the Central Bureau of Investigation.
The government, meanwhile, has said the State CID investigation will continue and has proposed additional mechanisms to monitor the process. The protesters have previously indicated that they would continue their agitation unless their remaining demands are addressed.
The recruitment controversy has also become a political issue in Jharkhand.
Congress leader Rahul Gandhi had urged Chief Minister Hemant Soren to personally meet representatives of the protesting students and address their concerns. The BJP has backed the demand for a CBI probe and criticised the State government's handling of the issue.
The protest intensified on August 10 when thousands of job aspirants marched towards the Jharkhand Assembly. Police used lathi-charge, tear gas and water cannons after protesters breached barricades, according to reports.
The immediate focus will now be on how the State implements the Cabinet's decision, particularly the cancellation of TDPL-linked examinations and results, and how candidates affected by the decision will be accommodated.
The government will also have to determine the mechanism for conducting fresh recruitment examinations while ensuring that candidates who were previously selected are not unfairly affected.
The broader inquiry into recruitment examinations since 2014 could potentially expand the scope of the controversy considerably.
For thousands of aspirants, Monday's announcement ends one phase of a prolonged battle over the credibility of Jharkhand's recruitment system. The next test for the government will be whether the promised reforms can restore confidence in examinations and ensure that future recruitment is conducted transparently and without compromising the interests of genuine candidates.

BREAKING: Jharkhand Cabinet Cancels JSSC-CGL Exam, Scraps TDPL Exams; Probe Ordered Into Recruitment Irregularities Since 2014

Alia Bhatt Shares ‘Good Old Days’ With Ranbir Kapoor and Raha in Adorable Throwback Post

SEBI Launches 2 Cybersecurity Portals to Boost Incident Reporting Across Securities Market

Airfare Rules: Centre Tells SC New Airline Regulations to Be Finalised in 3 Weeks

Akhil Sachdeva Reveals What Emraan Hashmi Wanted From Him for ‘Awarapan 2’ Song

BREAKING: Jharkhand Cabinet Cancels JSSC-CGL Exam, Scraps TDPL Exams; Probe Ordered Into Recruitment Irregularities Since 2014

UGC-NET row: NTA defends re-exam decision, says corrective action protects students

Rajasthan govt schools bar unauthorized entry, restrict media access without permission

National Overseas Scholarship 2026-27 applications open for higher studies abroad

UGC NET June 2026: NTA to reconduct English, Commerce, Sociology exams in Sept

BREAKING: Jharkhand Cabinet Cancels JSSC-CGL Exam, Scraps TDPL Exams; Probe Ordered Into Recruitment Irregularities Since 2014

Alia Bhatt Shares ‘Good Old Days’ With Ranbir Kapoor and Raha in Adorable Throwback Post

SEBI Launches 2 Cybersecurity Portals to Boost Incident Reporting Across Securities Market

Airfare Rules: Centre Tells SC New Airline Regulations to Be Finalised in 3 Weeks

Akhil Sachdeva Reveals What Emraan Hashmi Wanted From Him for ‘Awarapan 2’ Song

BREAKING: Jharkhand Cabinet Cancels JSSC-CGL Exam, Scraps TDPL Exams; Probe Ordered Into Recruitment Irregularities Since 2014

UGC-NET row: NTA defends re-exam decision, says corrective action protects students

Rajasthan govt schools bar unauthorized entry, restrict media access without permission

National Overseas Scholarship 2026-27 applications open for higher studies abroad

UGC NET June 2026: NTA to reconduct English, Commerce, Sociology exams in Sept
Copyright© educationpost.in 2024 All Rights Reserved.
Designed and Developed by @Pyndertech