||

Connecting Communities, One Page at a Time.

Gujarat school cleared of intent in I-Day play row over burqa-clad ‘terrorists’

Inquiry finds portrayal was based on YouTube video and student choices, not aimed at hurting religious sentiments.

Amin Masoodi 29 August 2025 04:48

Gujrat school

Bhavnagar’s District Education Officer (DEO) has given a clean chit to a municipal school accused of depicting burqa-clad girls as “terrorists” during its Independence Day celebrations. The inquiry concluded that the controversial play was “completely unintentional” and had no malicious intent to hurt religious sentiments or disturb communal harmony.

The incident at Dr A P J Abdul Kalam Prathmik Shala No. 51 in the city’s Kumbharwada area had triggered outrage after videos of the performance surfaced online. The play, titled Operation Sindoor, featured two girls in burqas cast as terrorists — a depiction that drew objections from a local social group, Bandharan Bachav Samiti Bhavnagar.

Advertisement

Following the complaint, DEO Hitendrasinh D. Padheriya sought a detailed factual report from Bhavnagar Municipal School Board Administrative Officer (AO) Munjal Badmaliya. The report, submitted on August 25, concluded that the attire and concept had been chosen by the students after watching a similar play on YouTube.

Statements from teachers, parents, and even Muslim staff members at the school backed this version, confirming that no one was coerced or targeted.

“Nobody forced students to wear burqas in the play. It was their decision after watching a YouTube video. There was no deliberate attempt to hurt anyone’s sentiments,” Badmaliya was quoted as saying.

The school, which has over 600 students and both Muslim teachers and pupils, expressed regret if the portrayal had caused any offense, while stressing that the intent was only to celebrate the military success of Operation Sindoor.

Advertisement

Teachers clarified that the Class VII students prepared the skit in just two days, and decisions on costumes were made independently. Principal Rajendra Kumar Dave said the play was one of several program organized in response to the District Collector’s appeal to mark the occasion with patriotic activities.

The DEO’s office has nonetheless advised the school to exercise greater sensitivity in the future. “The report makes it clear there was no intentional motive. Still, schools have been asked to ensure such incidents don’t arise again,” Padheriya said.

The controversy had briefly placed the all-girls municipal school under scrutiny, but the inquiry’s findings appear to have defused tensions for now.

Also Read