||

Connecting Communities, One Page at a Time.

advertisement
advertisement

White House shooter who believed he was Jesus identified as 21-year-old Nasire Best

Best, who was previously barred from the White House, was shot dead by Secret Service after opening fire and injuring a bystander.

EPN Desk 24 May 2026 05:54

 Washington DC shooting

The gunman who opened fire near a Secret Service checkpoint outside the White House has been identified as 21-year-old Nasire Best, according to a report by the New York Post.

Authorities said Best’s exact motive remains unclear, but early findings suggest he was mentally disturbed and believed he was a modern-day incarnation of Jesus Christ. Investigators suspect the attack may have stemmed from his mental instability, though they are continuing to examine whether any political motive may have played a role.

Advertisement

Best had reportedly drawn the attention of the Secret Service multiple times in the past for loitering near White House security checkpoints. Last year, he was arrested twice on charges including obstructing traffic and entering a restricted pedestrian control area near the White House.

During one such detention by Washington DC police and Secret Service personnel, he allegedly said he wanted to be arrested because he believed he was Jesus Christ reincarnated.

A court had earlier ordered Best to stay away from the White House complex, but officials said he violated that directive.

On May 24, Secret Service personnel spotted Best behaving erratically near 17th Street Northwest in Washington DC. Officials said he then pulled out a firearm and opened fire, critically injuring at least one bystander.

Members of the Secret Service’s Uniformed Division responded immediately, returning fire and neutralising the suspect. Best was taken to hospital, where he was later declared dead.

FBI says investigation is ongoing

Reacting to the shooting, FBI Director Kash Patel said authorities are actively investigating the case and will share more details as they become available.

“FBI is on the scene and supporting Secret Service responding to shots fired near White House grounds. We will update the public as we’re able,” Patel said in a post on X.

Also Read


    advertisement