||

Connecting Communities, One Page at a Time.

advertisement
advertisement

24 killed in BLA’s fidayeen attack on Pakistan train near Quetta

Powerful blast near railway track triggered fire, damaged homes and vehicles, with several injured reported in critical condition.

EPN Desk 24 May 2026 10:50

powerful explosion struck near a railway track

At least 24 people were killed and several others critically injured after a powerful explosion struck near a railway track in Pakistan’s southwestern city of Quetta on May 24, according to news agency Associated Press.

Soon after the blast, the Baloch Liberation Army (BLA) claimed responsibility, describing it as a “fidayeen” or suicide attack targeting Pakistani military personnel allegedly travelling on a train.

Advertisement

According to Pakistani broadcaster ary News, citing local police, the explosion occurred near Chaman Phatak in Quetta and sparked a fire close to the railway track. Residents, emergency responders and fire brigade teams rushed to the site as rescue efforts began.

Quetta, the capital of Balochistan, has long been at the centre of a separatist insurgency.

Police said the blast caused extensive damage, shattering windows of nearby buildings and damaging several homes and vehicles parked close to the railway line.

Security forces quickly cordoned off the area as emergency operations continued.

Local media reports said one coach of the Jaffer Express caught fire in the explosion. The train was reportedly scheduled to depart for Peshawar.

Balochistan’s Special Assistant for Home Affairs, Babar Yousafzai, said authorities were gathering information and that more details would be shared after verification. He added that all relevant institutions had been placed on alert and urged residents to stay away from the blast site while rescue work continued.

In a statement, the BLA said its Majeed Brigade, which it described as its self-sacrificing unit, carried out what it called a “highly organized” attack on a train allegedly carrying Pakistani Army personnel from Quetta Cantonment.

The group said it would release further details on the operation and the casualties in a separate official statement.

Also Read


    advertisement