The latest surrender — including high-reward cadres and 12 women — adds to a growing trend across Chhattisgarh’s Maoist-affected districts, signalling what security officials call a major breakdown in lower-level ranks.

The surrendered Maoists being welcomed to the mainstream. Photo: Facebook/Chhattisgarh Police
In a significant boost to counter-insurgency efforts in Chhattisgarh, 37 Maoists, including 27 carrying rewards worth ₹65 lakh, surrendered before security forces in Dantewada on Sunday. The group includes 12 women operatives, marking one of the largest single-day voluntary surrenders in the district this year.
The state police, in an official statement, said the cadres surrendered under the Chhattisgarh Surrender and Rehabilitation Policy, which offers a financial grant of ₹50,000 along with access to vocational training, livelihood support, agricultural land allocation, and social reintegration programmes. The policy, revamped in recent years, aims to weaken the Maoist movement by encouraging disgruntled cadres to return to civilian life.

Among the high-value surrenderees, four Maoists carried rewards of ₹8 lakh each. One of them, Bhima alias Jahaj Kalmu, a member of the notorious Company No. 02 formation, was allegedly involved in deadly ambushes in 2019 and 2020 that resulted in the killing of at least 26 security personnel and injuries to over 20 others. The attacks, which also involved the looting of state weaponry, remain among the most violent episodes in Dantewada’s recent conflict history.
Another key cadre, Hungi alias Roshni Sodi, was reportedly involved in a 2024 encounter in the Gobel–Thulthuli forest belt, a region long considered a Maoist stronghold.
Spike in surrenders across Bastar
The surrender comes amid a surge in Maoist defections across the Bastar region, which includes the districts of Dantewada, Narayanpur, Sukma, Bastar, and Bijapur — all deeply affected by the decades-long insurgency.
According to Inspector General of Police (Bastar Range) P. Sundarraj, 1,160 Maoists have surrendered so far in 2025, including 333 cadres with declared rewards. The unprecedented wave includes 916 men and 244 women, reflecting what officials describe as a “systemic collapse” of lower-tier Maoist networks after the elimination or surrender of several senior commanders in recent months.
Last year, approximately 800 Maoists surrendered, making 2025’s numbers the highest since intensified counter-insurgency initiatives began in the region.
Dantewada shows consistent decline in Maoist influence
District Superintendent of Police Gaurav Rai noted that over 508 Maoists have surrendered in Dantewada alone in the past 20 months, including 165 with bounties. He said the sustained pressure from security forces, combined with expansive rehabilitation programmes such as ‘Lon Varratu’ — a district-level surrender campaign — has prompted both senior leaders and core cadres to abandon the Maoist ranks.
“A considerable segment of Maoist leadership, along with active operatives from their base areas, has chosen to renounce violence and return to society. This trend represents a major shift in ground-level dynamics,” Rai said.

Indicators of weakening insurgency
Security officials believe the spate of surrenders demonstrates growing disillusionment among Maoist cadres due to dwindling resources, internal factionalism, and the expanding presence of developmental projects and road networks in previously inaccessible forest terrain.
As authorities step up targeted operations and socio-economic outreach, the Bastar region — once considered the epicentre of left-wing extremism — is witnessing what many describe as a decisive turning point in one of India’s longest-running internal security challenges.

IIM Nagpur Opens Admissions for 5th Batch of Digital Strategy & Marketing Analytics Programme

37 Maoists Surrender in Dantewada as Bastar Region Witnesses Major Decline in Naxal Cadre Strength

NEP a ‘Tool to Correct Distorted History’, Says Union Minister Suresh Gopi Amid Ongoing Policy Debate

Assam Passes Six Key Education Bills After Opposition Walkout, Stirring Debate on Legislative Process

Virat Surpasses Tendulkar for Most Centuries in a Single Format, Extends Golden Run in Ranchi

IIM Nagpur Opens Admissions for 5th Batch of Digital Strategy & Marketing Analytics Programme

37 Maoists Surrender in Dantewada as Bastar Region Witnesses Major Decline in Naxal Cadre Strength

NEP a ‘Tool to Correct Distorted History’, Says Union Minister Suresh Gopi Amid Ongoing Policy Debate

Assam Passes Six Key Education Bills After Opposition Walkout, Stirring Debate on Legislative Process

Virat Surpasses Tendulkar for Most Centuries in a Single Format, Extends Golden Run in Ranchi

IIM Nagpur Opens Admissions for 5th Batch of Digital Strategy & Marketing Analytics Programme

37 Maoists Surrender in Dantewada as Bastar Region Witnesses Major Decline in Naxal Cadre Strength

NEP a ‘Tool to Correct Distorted History’, Says Union Minister Suresh Gopi Amid Ongoing Policy Debate

Assam Passes Six Key Education Bills After Opposition Walkout, Stirring Debate on Legislative Process

Virat Surpasses Tendulkar for Most Centuries in a Single Format, Extends Golden Run in Ranchi

IIM Nagpur Opens Admissions for 5th Batch of Digital Strategy & Marketing Analytics Programme

37 Maoists Surrender in Dantewada as Bastar Region Witnesses Major Decline in Naxal Cadre Strength

NEP a ‘Tool to Correct Distorted History’, Says Union Minister Suresh Gopi Amid Ongoing Policy Debate

Assam Passes Six Key Education Bills After Opposition Walkout, Stirring Debate on Legislative Process

Virat Surpasses Tendulkar for Most Centuries in a Single Format, Extends Golden Run in Ranchi
Copyright© educationpost.in 2024 All Rights Reserved.
Designed and Developed by @Pyndertech