||

Connecting Communities, One Page at a Time.

Delhi University VC Yogesh Singh confirms CUET will remain in admissions process

Delhi University Vice-Chancellor Yogesh Singh reiterated that CUET scores will continue to be used for admissions, highlighting the system’s positive impact on diversity and fairness in the selection process.

EPN Desk 05 April 2025 12:06

Delhi University VC Yogesh Singh confirms CUET will remain in admissions process

Delhi University Vice-Chancellor Yogesh Singh affirmed on April 4 that CUET scores will remain a part of the admissions process.

He dismissed any suggestions that DU might opt out, emphasizing the system's positive impact on diversity and fairness in admissions.

Singh also expressed satisfaction with the performance of CUET candidates, saying, "There is no issue, and no question of opting out."

He further mentioned that the university is focusing on research projects, academic hiring, and infrastructure improvement.

“Our QS world ranking has improved significantly, from 600+ in 2022 to 328 now. We aim to break into the top 200 and, eventually, the top 100 universities globally,” he said.

To ensure smoother conduct, Singh said that the university will follow the Lyngdoh Panel's recommendations and that there will be more "limitations and restrictions" during the upcoming Delhi University Students' Union (DUSU) elections.

“Nobody should deface walls. What happened during past elections, with huge amounts of money and muscle power, is not expected. We would rather not repeat these things, and next time, we will see a change. We will implement the Lyngdoh Committee recommendations,” Singh said.

He also mentioned that "there will now be limitations and restrictions," suggesting new initiatives to curb student political corruption.

Singh acknowledged students' concerns that elections interfere with their studies. “Many students just want to study, and they should have that right without disturbances,” he said.

The Delhi High Court ruled last year that administrators at Delhi University and its affiliated institutions had not fully understood the significance of the Lyngdoh Committee's rules, which prohibit using printed posters and defacing public property during student union elections.

The Lyngdoh Committee's criteria state that a candidate cannot spend more than ₹5,000, and campaigns must rely solely on voluntary student donations.

Additionally, candidates are prohibited from using printed materials, including posters, for campaigning. Further restrictions apply to campaigning and funding.

According to the guidelines, any candidate who violates these recommendations risks losing their candidacy or elected office.

Authorities may also take appropriate disciplinary action if violations occur.

The VC also addressed claims that DU is being saffronized during the interview. He rejected such accusations, stating that a spirit of patriotism should be ingrained in students' education.

“This is our country. We are all children of this country. The education system should foster that kind of mindset. In the next 25 years, India will be a developed nation, and our challenges will be completely unique. We need brains, citizens who will protect the interests of our country,” he said.

Singh responded to the specific accusation of ideological bias by saying, "We were already under slavery for 800 years; we do not want that to happen again."

He added, "If they are referring to the specific shade of saffron, then it is the color of Bharat and is associated with austerity, asceticism, and sacrifice."

Also Read